Re: Representation of end-users at the IETF (Was: mini-cores (was Re: ULA-C)

2007-09-19 17:41:58
I'd be careful about using the ICANN/ALAC example as proving much of anything other than if a group wishes to set up some window-dressing so it can say users are consulted, and ensures that the users have no particular influence in the group's activities (compared to every other represented interest group), that then you get an ineffective outcome.

I'd expect that in the unlikely event the IETF were to go down this road, they would actually use Internet tools to organize people and discussions, and that the process would be colored with far more good sense, good faith and good will.

That doesn't mean it would work or that you should do it -- the obstacles are real and serious -- just that I don't think you can generalize from a process, the ALAC, that was not engineered to work so much as to generate good news coverage. Indeed, ALAC is there because there was some powerful end-user representation in ICANN 1.0, and the powers that be didn't like the Mensheviks.