Re: why can't IETF emulate IEEE on this point?

2007-09-25 11:51:28
no, i was thinking of the promise not to sue, rather than the promise to
disclose the possibility of suing.

You mean like:

If technology in this document is included in a standard adopted by IETF
and any claims of any Cisco patents are necessary for practicing the
standard, any party will have the right to use any such patent claims under
reasonable, non-discriminatory terms, with reciprocity, to implement and
fully comply with the standard.

The reasonable non-discriminatory terms are:

those terms seem reasonable to me.  theoretically, what if someone said
that their "reasonable nondiscrimintatory terms" were GPL?  would IETF agree
that these terms were reasonable and nondiscriminatory?  (i wouldn't.)

This is from one of Cisco's IPR disclosures...the first I found. Seems
pretty clear (for legal-ese) to me.

very clear, very well done, but if anything it adds to my list of questions
rather than subtracting from that, since it begs the question, what is the
objective definition of "reasonable and nondiscriminatory"?