Re: why can't IETF emulate IEEE on this point?

2007-09-25 12:03:51

On Sep 25, 2007, at 11:21 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:

[...]

I don't think it's fundamentally different from the IETF policy (that
is, RAND is acceptable).

Actually, per RFC 3978 and friends, the IETF does not even require a RAND commitment. There have recently been cases where RFCs have been issued with known patents that are not offered under RAND terms. It's up to the WG and IETF consensus to decide whether I-Ds including such encumbered technology can become RFCs (and what class of RFCs).

Stephan