Re: Renumbering

2007-09-25 16:55:52
Mark Andrews wrote:
    Actually getaddrinfo() not asking for AAAA all the time is
    broken if you add in searching which most/all getaddrinfo()
    calls do.

    You want to get to the *same* name when searching regardless
    of whether it has A, AAAA or AAAA & A records.

+1

and furthermore the result needs to be the same regardless of whether
this is done on an IPv4-only, IPv6-only, or dual-stack and
dual-connected machine.

      In otherwords it need to be independent of the setting of
      AI_ADDRCONFIG.
Well, that's not saying quite the same thing that I was trying to say.

The /name/ on which the query is based should be independent of whether
AI_ADDRCONFIG is set.  However the /result/ of the query can still
differ based on whether that flag is set.  And if AI_ADDRCONFIG is not
set, the result of the query should be the same regardless of whether
the host has IPv4 access, IPv6 access, or both.  This implies that the
query is being done on the same name in both cases.

(Actually I think that AI_ADDRCONFIG is so ambiguously defined as to be
fairly useless in practice.  But I also think that searching through
multiple zones is a bad idea.)

Keith