Re: Renumbering

2007-09-13 12:32:46
On Sep 13, 2007, at 11:43 AM, Tony Finch wrote:
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, David Conrad wrote:

How do you renumber the IP address stored in the struct sockaddr_in in a
long running critical application?

Applications that don't respect DNS TTLs are broken for many reasons, not
just network renumbering.

Then pretty much every IP-aware application ever written is broken.

If you had a separation between locator and identifier, the application could bind to the identifier and renumbering events could occur on the locators without impacting the identifier. Long running critical applications wouldn't even notice. You could even get stuff like simple multi-homing and transparent mobility for free. People would live in peace and harmony for ever and ever. Etc.

But we don't have that separation.

We are burdened with an architecture that was designed before we had how this whole "Internet" thing was going to work beaten into the operational community's heads with large sticks.

We had an opportunity to fix that, but we blew it. We kept the same architecture, just making it bigger and ignoring the operational problems that architecture imposed (and some people at the time argued this was a good thing). But hey, at least we weren't saddled with that evil OSI TP4/CLNP stuff. We showed them, didn't we?

We appear to now be at a point where more folks have realized that we have to either come up with IPngng or backfit some kludge onto IPng to address the operational problems that existed in IP and were carried over into IPng because it is just IP with more bits.

Unfortunately, we're now looking down the barrel of exhaustion of the IPv4 free pool (2 to 3 years, based on current projections), so we don't even have the luxury of time to bicker about it anymore. Doesn't mean we won't bicker, of course.

I suspect we have 3 alternatives:
a) IPv4+NAT
b) IPv6 with aggressive prefix length filters and highly indeterminate reachability for longer prefix PI address holders.
c) IPngng (maybe IPv6 with some sort of locator/id split hacked onto it)

The default will be (a).

"Choose wisely."

Regards,
-drc