Re: Call for action vs. lost opportunity (Was: Re: Renumbering)

2007-09-14 11:00:05
Tony,

On Sep 13, 2007, at 5:29 PM, Tony Hain wrote:
David Conrad wrote:
IPv6 _is_ IPv4 with more bits and it is being deployed that way.
No it is not, and you need to stop claiming that because it confuses people
into limiting their thinking to the legacy IPv4 deployment model.

I'm not particularly interested in getting into a "Yes it is! No it isn't!" debate. I will merely point out that IPv6 has been implemented and is being deployed as IPv4 with more bits. As I said, you can argue it shouldn't be this way, but reality often sucks.

I might suggest that the reason why major core infrastructures like the telephony system, utility grids, etc. are often hodgepodges of hacks and kludges is because the business case to throw out successful deployment models and existing plants is difficult to make. And when you do, you generally want to insure a high level of backwards compatibility so that you don't have to change everything to make use of the new bits.

There are way too many arguments
(even on this list of relatively smart people) where the fundamental
difference of simultaneous use of multiple addresses is the key to thinking
differently between the versions.

Can you point to one widely used application, API, or operating system (that doesn't require manual intervention) that supports this?

Regards,
-drc