Re: Call for action vs. lost opportunity (Was: Re: Renumbering)

2007-09-14 11:16:27
Dave,

On Sep 13, 2007, at 5:43 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:
David Conrad wrote:
IPv6 _is_ IPv4 with more bits and it is being deployed that way.
That sort of equivalence statement applies when the new version is a minor upgrade to the previous, rather than require massive changes to the infrastructure AND to client applications. Having to run parallel stacks, having substantial changes to administration and operations,

I believe that _if_ there was IPv6 support in network management, provisioning, back end systems, CPE, router ASICs, etc., there wouldn't need to be significant change to administration or operation. You would obviously need to change systems to deal with 128 bit values in ACLs and filters, etc., but that should be a simple SMOP. In terms of provisioning, the only change that _might_ be necessary is changing the default customer allocation from a /28 (or whatever) to a /48. This might imply a change in some aspects of business models for those folks who charge extra for IP addresses, but I can't really see that as being that big a deal.

Of course what turns out to be a big deal is getting to the point where that starting "if" statement passes. However, the point of my statement is that in reality, IPv6 must be treated pretty much the same as the thing is it attempting to replace. If not, you're requiring 1 billion people to change the way they do things and we have given them (a) no reason to and (b) no real tools to do it. This won't work.

and having major changes to the minimum required set of capabilities is more than just a few more bits.

Can you give an example of what you mean by this?

Thanks,
-drc