Re: Call for action vs. lost opportunity (Was: Re: Renumbering)

2007-09-14 01:39:05
On 14-sep-2007, at 5:34, Keith Moore wrote:

What we'd really need is a
RR type specifically intended to map service names onto instance
ID+address pairs, and also a special query type that wasn't defined to
return all of the matching RR records, but would instead return a random
subset or a subset based on heuristics, and finally an instance ID to
address mapping service.

Once again, I don't see why this would be a valid requirement.

And as I understand it, people who need this today typically host a service behind a single address and use a load balancer to spread incoming requests over a set of servers in such a way that the same client returns to the same server.

        Applications need to deal with TCP connections breaking for
        all sorts of reasons.  Renumbering should be a relatively
        infrequent event compared to all the other possible ways a
        TCP connection can fail.

Mumble.  Seems like the whole point of TCP was to recover from such
failures at a lower level.

TCP protects you from lots of stuff, but it doesn't really let you recover from the remote endpoint rebooting, for example... (And something that's common in today's IPv4 deployments: NAT timeouts. I got bitten by that in Chicago, I think they were only a few minutes in my hotel, drove me insane because anything other than HTTP didn't work for long.)