Re: Call for action vs. lost opportunity (Was: Re: Renumbering)

2007-09-17 05:43:09
On 14 Sep 2007 at 09:38 -0400, Thomas Narten allegedly wrote:
David Conrad <drc(_at_)virtualized(_dot_)org> writes:
As I have said elsewhere, I've come to believe that one of the
fundamental failures of the IETF is that it permits or even
encourages protocol design to be directed by corner cases.

But corner cases do need to be considered.  If nothing else they
inform the design.  If there is a process failure, it's a failure to
correctly evaluate the significance of the corner cases considered.
Coming up with the corner cases is clever, but figuring out which ones
to take seriously is harder, as it requires accurately predicting
technological, cultural, political and economic futures.  We could use
some more capability there.

This is sometimes very true.  But I disagree that this is the reason
we haven't done an ID/Loc split yet. At the end of the day, we have
yet to see a real design fleshed out in enough detail that folk can
honestly say "yep, I think we can make this work in practice and I
think I understand how the pieces will all fit together". And I'm
talking about _all_ the pieces, not just the 80% that are the
easiest and we know how to do.

Agree (but we're trying for the next 5%).

Actually, I suspect if the work were to happen in the IRTF, it would
be doomed.  The IRTF is, after all, focused on research.

If there is engineering work to do, make the case it is ready for the
IETF. Personally, I think the ID/Loc work is still in that gray area
between engineering and research. Ready for engineering means we know
how to do it, there are no hard problems to still work out. We just
need to agree on a standard way to do something.

On the other hand, if we don't know how to do a scalable mapping
part yet, that sounds like research to me. (Insert long-running
discussion here about how DNS is or is not good enough to provide
this functionality.)

I prefer to keep things out of WGs until we know what it is we're
supposed to *engineer*, or at least until figuring that out won't take
long.

I can imagine the people in the IRTF contributing towards a solution
but that isn't where a solution will come from.  Given real world
constraints, a solution will come from engineers (protocol, network,
hardware, and/or software), singly or working together, coming up
with an approach that meets real world requirements (not what
researchers believe are real world requirements).  It almost
certainly won't be architecturally pure and it probably won't be
pretty, but it will probably meet commercial and operational needs.

Yep. But I would hope that the research side can do the work that
leads to answering the previous question with an answer of "yep, I
think we know how to this and can make it work and just need to agree
on the bits."

It's a continuum.  RRG is full of people who consider themselves
engineers and who participate in the IETF as well.

swb