Re: session layers, was Re: Renumbering ... Should we consider an association that spans transports?

2007-09-17 02:04:13
On 2007-9-14, at 21:54, ext Tony Finch wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, Keith Moore wrote:
I actually don't think that having multiple concurrent TCP connections
between two peers is a bad thing.   sure we could have a transport
protocol that provided multiple streams, but why bother when concurrent
TCP connections works pretty well?

I agree, except that "pretty well" is a bit crappy when every connection has to re-establish authentication and encryption - which is what drives
some protocols to implement their own multiplexing.

mumble. I don't have a problem with multiple TCP connections, but OTOH I think that using TCP close for framing is bad application design. so I don't view persistent connections in HTTP as a workaround, I view it
as fixing a design flaw in HTTP/1.0.

I agree, especially because some software has problems telling the
difference between clean and dirty closes. However there's a latency /
efficiency trade-off, and TCP pushes you towards pipelining multiple
transactions down a few connections even when a more natural design
might have greater concurrency. mumble.

You might be interested in Bryan Ford's SST paper from this year's SIGCOMM:

Structured Streams: a New Transport Abstraction. Bryan Ford. ACM SIGCOMM 2007, August 27-31, 2007, Kyoto, Japan. http:// www.brynosaurus.com/pub/net/sst-abs.html

Abstract: Internet applications currently have a choice between stream and datagram transport abstractions. Datagrams efficiently support small transactions and streams are suited for long-running conversations, but neither abstraction adequately supports applications like HTTP that exhibit a mixture of transaction sizes, or applications like FTP and SIP that use multiple transport instances. Structured Stream Transport (SST) enhances the traditional stream abstraction with a hierarchical hereditary structure, allowing applications to create lightweight child streams from any existing stream. Unlike TCP streams, these lightweight streams incur neither 3- way handshaking delays on startup nor TIME-WAIT periods on close. Each stream offers independent data transfer and flow control, allowing different transactions to proceed in parallel without head- of-line blocking, but all streams share one congestion control context. SST supports both reliable and best-effort delivery in a way that semantically unifies datagrams with streams and solves the classic “large datagram” problem, where a datagram's loss probability increases exponentially with fragment count. Finally, an application can prioritize its streams relative to each other and adjust priorities dynamically through out-of-band signaling. A user-space prototype shows that SST is TCP-friendly to within 2%, and performs comparably to a user-space TCP and to within 10% of kernel TCP on a WiFi network.

Lars