Re: Renumbering

2007-09-24 02:04:03
On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 10:16:26PM -0400,
 Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> wrote
 a message of 53 lines which said:

I don't want getnameinfo() or any other API that does DNS lookup to
act differently depending on whether the system seems to have
external IPv6 connectivity or not (unless the app explicitly asked
for this),

getaddrinfo() or getnameinfo() are *not* supposed to do DNS lookups,
they are supposed to do name-to-address mapping, using whatever system
they were configured for (may be the DNS, may be LDAP, may be
/etc/hosts).

because my app might have a valid reason for wanting to know if
there's an AAAA record associated with a name even if the system
doesn't have external IPv6 connectivity.

OK, then it requires a low-level system call, doing only DNS lookups
(this API already exists, BTW). getaddrinfo() is for applications who
want the high-level view.

More generally, I don't want anything that handles DNS queries -

Then, getaddrinfo() is out of scope, since it was never conceived as a
DNS debugging tool.