Re: IETF solution for pairing cellular hosts

2007-09-26 02:43:37
On 9/26/07, John L <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com> wrote:

You can enable this protocol when you need to pair your phone
with another user's phone. Because manual exchange is difficult.

Now I don't understand what problem you are trying to solve.  If the two
phones are physically close to each other, we have existing short-range
data exchange systems such as infrared and Bluetooth that work fine.  If
the two parties already know each other, there is presumably some existing
communication path such as e-mail they can use to exchange credentials.

On the other hand, if you are trying to solve the introduction problem,
how to establish a channel between two people who don't already know each
other, that's a famous swamp, and taking a couple of phones into the
swamp doesn't change the issues.

Hi,
Please refer to my first mail. There are three basic problems that I see.

1. You don't want to publish your private information
2. Manual exchange is difficult
3. Face-to-face contact is not always available

The proposed solution is the only one that addresses these three problems.

I can also add that I don't want to use Bluetooth. This is an abstract
solution, i.e. technology independent.

As for your "using e-mail" proposal, I don't understand. In fact you can
use this protocol for distributing an e-mail address too.

Regards,

pars

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for
Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, ex-Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.