Re: IETF solution for pairing cellular hosts

2007-09-26 00:33:28

On Tue, 2007-09-25, Pars Mutaf wrote:

On 9/25/07, Suresh Krishnan <suresh(_dot_)krishnan(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Pars Mutaf wrote:
Model of operation

1. The querier user types the target user's "human name" (as if he were
    consulting a phonebook), or a pseudoynm.
2. The pairing request is forwarded to the target phone.

How? How do you locate the target phone? Isn't this the problem we are
trying to solve?

For example (I'm not saying that this THE solution):

You can have a relay agent where the human names map
to MIPv6 home addresses of the target phones.

This is the big problem. "Human names" are not unique enough!

In a normal wire-line directory the name is associated with a fixed
location, usually an address but at least a city. This can be used as a
discriminator among possible name duplications by the querier.

Cellphones do not provide the "relay agent" with such fixed, known
information to assist in discriminating among customers with the same name.
Since cellphones are so mobile there even might only be a country indication.

Or were you intending that ALL phones of people with the same name be
contacted. Wouldn't this just put the burden on all of the target users to
determine the identity of the querier based on....what?

And how would any one of the targets determine that she was the intended
victim?

--
Bill McQuillan <McQuilWP(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>