Re: IETF solution for pairing cellular hosts

2007-09-27 03:07:56
Regarding the CAPTCHA discussion I would like to clarify one point:

CAPTCHA is today used for against ballot stuffing or casual trolling/spam.

In the proposed pairing protocol, CAPTCHA (or perhaps other solutions)
defeats someone who wants to disturb you by displaying a bogus pairing
message on your phone. He/she won't obtain anything (footnote1).

This is similar to knocking at the door of someone and running away.
The attacker doesn't obtain anything (and may be identified if
authentication
can be required). He can do it if he wishes, but this is stupid. In our case

this attack is even more stupid because the attacker also has to solve a
difficult problem before disturbing someone.
===

Footnote1: You can push on the YES button by mistake and have your phone
paired
with a spammer. This could happen. (you can always avoid this problem by
activating the reachable mode more carefully if you wish, it's your call.
there are possibly many different usage models and user types.)

However note that this a privacy solution. It helps privacy basically.
Remote pairing, the proposed solution, also helps you change your phone
number (for whatever reason) and stay reachable. Your friend will have to
re-initiate pairing and solve again a CAPTCHA in this case before he/she can

call you.

pars

ps: Sorry for continuing the discussion here I'm posting here because
the CAPTCHA discussion started here. (I prefer moving to the list
personally,
if you subscribe one day :-)
the number of subscribers is not enough for the moment)