Re: IETF solution for pairing cellular hosts

2007-09-26 03:15:51
On 9/26/07, John L <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com> wrote:

Using a Turing test (CAPTCHA) for example.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

There are many well known ways to defeat CAPTCHAs, unfortunately.

It depends on the CAPTCHA you are using and your application.
You may want to take a look at the following talk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtFroEJN1nI

I've seen it.  Without getting into more details that the IETF list wants
to see, let me just say that having been thinking about the introduction
problem for the better part of a decade, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only
one who thinks that approaches that depend on something like a CAPTCHA to
work don't have much of a long term future.

I respect your opinion but it says that one day we won't be able to tell
humans and computers apart.

In fact I'm not saying that the solution depends on CAPTCHA, I propose it
as an option.

Regards,

pars

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for
Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, ex-Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.