Re: Third Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

2007-10-01 06:42:04

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
IANAL, but it's my understanding that the prominently displayed Note Well
text already serves this purpose. The real sanction can only be having
a patent struck down by the courts due to intentional failure to
disclose it; all the IETF can do is to make its rules clear enough
for the courts to be able to make such a finding.
I don't see what we need to change. As the current case shows,
we know how to rescind a standards action if appropriate.

IALOAL (I am less of a lawyer) but what you say makes complete sense to me (which probably should worry folks.)

IETF actions: Note Well note, and later possibility of rescinding standards status.

Legal action (by others): Use of Note Well, etc. as input to suit against
patent.

The only issue that occurs to me is the difference between Historic vs. Experimental/Informational. The only reason it might be worthy of discussion is the possible legal impact. I could imagine that Historic would be a more clear bit of input to the legal process...

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking