Re: Third Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

2007-10-11 04:07:02
The IESG is considering approving this draft as an experimental
track RFC with knowledge of the IPR disclosure from Redphone
Security. The IESG solicits final comments on whether the IETF
community has consensus to publish draft-housley-tls-authz-extns as
an experimental standard given the IPR claimed.

<not wearing any hats>

Basically repeating the comments I made earlier:

I think this document is somewhat useful, and whatever you may think
about IPRs, basically nobody has claimed that the technical solution
is flawed (except one minor detail, easily solved by an RFC editor
note -- see below) or undesirable.

However, since there doesn't seem to be widespread support for this
draft, an Experimental RFC seems like the most appropriate forward
(since Experimental does not need to represent IETF community
consensus or recommendation).

The minor detail that should be fixed (as was pointed out by
others) is changing the length fields from 16 bits to 24 bits
(the rest of TLS already uses 24-bit length fields for certificates).

Best regards,
Pasi