A priori IPR choices [Re: Third Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns]

2007-10-18 14:41:20
On 2007-10-19 05:47, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
What I would suggest is that new working groups be required to specify the
governing IPR rules in their charter, these would be either that all IPR must
be offered according to an open grant on W3C terms or that the working group
specifies at the outset that RAND terms are acceptable.

Violent disagreement. That would make all kinds of a priori processes
kick in for employees of patent-conscious companies, and generally
inhibit free discussion of initial ideas. Although it's messier to
confront patent issues later in the process, I believe that is
much better than constraining participation at the beginning.

    Brian