A priori IPR choices [Re: Third Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns]

2007-10-18 15:28:11
On 19 Oct 2007 at 10:30 +1300, Brian E Carpenter allegedly wrote:
On 2007-10-19 05:47, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
What I would suggest is that new working groups be required to
specify the governing IPR rules in their charter, these would be
either that all IPR must be offered according to an open grant on
W3C terms or that the working group specifies at the outset that
RAND terms are acceptable.

Violent disagreement. That would make all kinds of a priori
processes kick in for employees of patent-conscious companies, and
generally inhibit free discussion of initial ideas. Although it's
messier to confront patent issues later in the process, I believe
that is much better than constraining participation at the
beginning.

+1

Otherwise you get into battles over theory and ideology without any of
the information you need to make a decision.  You will still be able
to take your stance once the technical tradeoffs are worked out.