RE: Third Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

2007-10-18 10:09:42
I think we need to be careful when it comes to IPR, if we are not careful we
can allow anyone to exercise a veto on any spec they choose without being
required to substantiate it.

There is a balance here between ensuring that a patent holder does not unjustly
enrich themselves by enforcing rights to an inconsequential, undisclosed,
unnecessary or otherwise bogus patent claim on the one hand and ensuring that a
purported patent holder does not exercise undue influence on the standards
process by making a claim that they stand little or no chance of being able to
enforce in a court.

We have an IPR committee but I think that is part of the problem, not the
solution. The IETF should not sit down and draft IPR rules. We should act like
a standards body and recognize rules that have already been established
elsewhere. The W3C went through this whole process once and obtained the
agreement of the major IPR stakeholders and the open source movement. I see no
reason at all to duplicate that effort. Members of W3C staff have informally
indicated that they would be willing to release the document on a creative
commons license.

I don't think we should be having regular discussions on the details of IPR
policy here on the IETF list as we keep doing. Given the layer in the stack
where the IETF operates it is not practical for us to have a blanket policy as
W3C does that all standards be on completely open IPR terms. There are some
areas where this is simply not possible - PKI in the era of Public Key Partners
for example. We can however adopt rules similar to those at OASIS that create a
strong bias towards open IPR terms without making open IPR a mandatory
criteria.

What I would suggest is that new working groups be required to specify the
governing IPR rules in their charter, these would be either that all IPR must
be offered according to an open grant on W3C terms or that the working group
specifies at the outset that RAND terms are acceptable.

By making the process all or nothing the bargainng leverage of the IETF is
enhanced. Allowing each WG to negotiate separately weakens their bargaining
power as any agreement that the IPR holder makes will be applied as binding
precedent on them but not on others. Any future working group will expect to be
offered terms at least as generous as those offered in the past from that
particular IPR holder but the IPR holder cannot expect their competitors to be
held to the same standard.