Re: Third Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

2007-10-22 08:16:24
"John" == John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com> writes:

    John> --On Thursday, 11 October, 2007 17:05 +0300
    John> Pasi(_dot_)Eronen(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com wrote:

    >> John C Klensin wrote:
    >>> Assuming that this logic is reasonable (and, personally, I
    >>> do), the question remains as to why the document deserves the
    >>> special treatment of IESG sponsorship, rather than turning it
    >>> over to the tender mercies and independent review of the
    >>> independent submission process.  If nothing else, handling it
    >>> as an independent submission would remove any suspicion that
    >>> it was being given special treatment because one of its
    >>> authors was IETF Chair.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not strongly advocating that approach, just asking.
    >>  The IANA rules in this case require a document approved by the
    >> IESG; otherwise, independent submission would indeed be
    >> preferable.

    John> Strictly speaking, at least as I understand it, the IANA
    John> rules (actually, the IETF rules imposed on the IANA) require
    John> IESG approval of the registration, not IESG
    John> approval/publication of the document.  If independent
    John> submission would be preferable, nothing would prohibit
    John> making that submission.  Then, assuming that the RFC Editor
    John> tentatively agreed to publish, the document would be
    John> submitted for RFC 3932 review and the IESG could sign off on
    John> IANA registration at that point.

I do not believe the IESG should approve this IANA registration unless
there is community support to do so.

I think the argument that we should publish this document as-is for
the record makes no sense to me.  If we want to document an approach
so that it can be preserved as an archival record, then remove the
IANA registration, note the document specifies no code point and note
that it is being published to document an approach that did not
achieve consensus.

We should publish this document if we believe that it is reasonable
for people to use this protocol on the Internet and wish to enable
that.