Re: Spammers answering TMDA Queries

2007-10-04 22:28:51

On Oct 4, 2007, at 5:25 PM, Keith Moore wrote:

I guess I must have been in the bar when they had that pledge of allegiance. But even allowing that there is any such pledge, to the degree that we enable domains to control who uses their name and be accountable when they behave badly is certainly a net good thing IMO.

domains don't behave well or badly. they're just names. and I don't think it's in the internet's interest to require people to associate themselves with what is essentially a brand name in order to be heard. using DKIM for spam filtering pretty much does that.

DKIM might ensure a message, about to be dropped, generates a non- delivery notification instead. With extensions to DKIM, such as TPA- SSP, even email-addresses within different domains from those used for DKIM signing could make assurances. When a message hits a snag, TPA-SSP offers assurances that the domain in question is not being spoofed. TPA-SSP is extensible and allows a user to associate their email domain with any number of DKIM signing domains.

Individuals may be where TPA-SSP finds support. TPA-SSP also allows sub-domains differentiate signing policies. Secure use of sub- domains and Third-Party domains might be a feature corporations put to good use as well. The TPA-SSP mechanism allows principal domains to sign transactional emails and yet safely permit employees to send to mailing lists that also sign with DKIM.

DKIM can be very flexible. However, the DKIM cryptographic process may place a sizeable burden upon receivers, especially when spam is in excess of 99%.

-Doug