RE: Spammers answering TMDA Queries

2007-10-04 09:08:24
The problem is the amount of time it is taking to moderate mail sent by non
subscribers.

So far the score for KEYPROV has been 98% spam. But there were a couple of
messages that were very important that got trapped.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Levine [mailto:johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 11:44 AM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Cc: fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: Spammers answering TMDA Queries

how many of us are now sending with DKIM or Microsoft's scheme? It
might be worthwhile making ietf.org apply a policy to senders that
would recognize normal participants and disallow known spam domains.

Um, spammers haven't sent mail from "known spam domains"
since about 2001.  These days spam has 100% forged return
addresses.  DKIM and Sender-ID help tell forgeries from legit
mail, but I haven't heard anyone say that forged mail
purporting to be from list participants is an issue.

Unless I am missing something, the amount of spam leaking
into IETF lists is currently about zero.  What problem are we
trying to solve?

R's,
John