RE: Spammers answering TMDA Queries

2007-10-02 18:11:57
Sounds reasonable to me.

Tdma for personal email protection is rude and unacceptable. For mailing lists
it is entirely acceptable. Cost far outweighs benefit as the inconvenience to
the single sender is much less than the benefit to the community.

Should also consider if spf or dkim checks could cull the paypal spam.

Sent from my GoodLink Wireless Handheld (www.good.com)

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Russ Housley [mailto:housley(_at_)vigilsec(_dot_)com]
Sent:   Tuesday, October 02, 2007 04:12 PM Pacific Standard Time
To:     ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject:        Spammers answering TMDA Queries

The Secretariat tells me that Spammers are responding to TDMA queries
so that their mail goes through.  They have made the suggestion that
we clear the list of people once per year.  This would mean that a
legitimate user of a list that uses TDMA would get a TDMA query once
a year if they are not subscribed to any ietf.org mail list.  There
is no TDMA query for people who are on at least one ietf.org mail list.

Here is the info that I have:

 > Russ wants to know how many people have responded to the TMDA
 > challenge but are not on any IETF mailing list.

1025 mail addresses have "confirmed" their address.  I would bet that
at least 20% of the confirmed are spam addresses (or autoconfirmed
addresses)

Thoughts?

Russ