Re: Experimental makes sense for tls-authz

2007-10-27 01:45:29
On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 11:04 -0700, Randy Presuhn wrote:
Hi -

The existence of IPR claims potentially relevant to the implementation
of a specification has never been sufficient grounds to block the
publication of that specification as an RFC.  Given the unfortunate
history of this work, publication of draft-housley-tls-authz-extns
as experimental seems to be the most sensible path out of this mess.

If the IPR terms are indeed so onerous as to preclude widespread
implementation, as seems to be the concern of some, then it will
simply gather dust with other "experiments" that didn't work out,
and the open source community need not worry.  If, on the other
hand, this technology is so superior to anything the open source
community can offer as an alternative, then Darwin will go to work.

None of the recent argumentation has been technical. None of the
recent argumentation has provided a convincing procedural reason
to block publication of draft-housley-tls-authz-extns.  Let's just
hand it over to the RFC editor and be done with it.

Personally, I'm against publishing anything in any kind of RFC that has
unresolved IPR issues.

As for experimental RFC. I think it's not hard to force majority into
it's use, especially if it's a good idea and solves a real problem. If,
e.g. some large web server/browser vendor decides that it's easier to
pay for this patent that to reinvent it, and then implements it, then
the others must follow, and in general, we have interoperability
problems. The most problematic in this case is Open Source, and the fact
is that Open Source can not be ignored, if nothing else, because
Internet was built on such software.

Note that this is the only one, and very simple, scenario to reach the
goal of having Experimental RFC ad hoc standard. And in my opinion, not
so unrealistic. Furthermore, shouldn't be the burden of development of
alternative, non IPR problematic technologies, IETF's task?

Stjepan

Randy