terminology proposal: NAT+PT

2007-11-14 06:52:29

NAT, NAPT, and NAT-PT have been used for some while now to refer
to various sorts of address/port translation within an IPv4-only
network.

Recently, there has been some discussion of network address with
IPv6::IPv4 protocol translation.  Some have referred to that as
NAT-PT also, which can be confusing to some.

I'd like to suggest that when talking about the concept of
translating protocol versions (IPv6 <-> IPv4) in addition
to, or instead of, altering port number or IP address, we
use the short-hand notation "NAT+PT".

Cheers,

Ran

(PS:  Perhaps I've been burning too many DVDs lately. :-)