Re: terminology proposal: NAT+PT (or NAT64 ?)

2007-11-15 12:11:02
On 15 nov 2007, at 17:09, Keith Moore wrote:

NAT-64 is the one which is  NECESSARY for IPv6-only clients to access
IPv4-only servers.
(There may be other needs but this one is clearly identified , and IMO
its solution does deserve a non ambiguous name)

it is also necessary for servers on IPv6 only networks to be able to
have presence on the public IPv4 internet.  how else (for example) can
IPv6-only networks accept incoming email from v4 only networks and/or
serve web pages to v4-only clients?

In principle I agree, but in practice all the services are available on the IPv4-only internet so the ability for IPv6-only clients to connect to IPv4-only servers will give us more than 90% of what users need.

NAT-PT doesn't have to address all corner cases. After all, we do have those 3.7 billion IPv4 addresses, finding a few that can be given to the few percent of all hosts that have unusual needs shouldn't be a huge issue unless we _really_ screw up the address allocation mechanisms.

Also, all hosts using NAT-PT have IPv6 connectivity which can be used for "difficult" protocols, especially those used by relatively small groups of users.

yes you can do some of this with
proxies, but it's infeasible to set up a proxy for every single
application that needs to be able to communicate between these networks.

You don't need per-application proxy implementations: you can simply use the HTTP CONNECT method to ask the proxy to set up a TCP session towards a destination (by IPv4/IPv6 address or FQDN) and then pipe that session through the one you have to the proxy. Should work for everything that uses TCP. See

http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-van-beijnum-v6ops-connect-method-00.txt