Re: terminology proposal: NAT+PT

2007-11-14 13:07:30
Thus spake "RJ Atkinson" <rja(_at_)extremenetworks(_dot_)com>
NAT, NAPT, and NAT-PT have been used for some while now to refer
to various sorts of address/port translation within an IPv4-only
network.

I have never seen NAT-PT used to refer to that; the common terms are NAT and NAPT, though at least one vendor I'm aware of prefers PAT for the latter.

Recently, there has been some discussion of network address with
IPv6::IPv4 protocol translation.  Some have referred to that as
NAT-PT also, which can be confusing to some.

That is what RFC 2766 defines NAT-PT to be, so if there's any confusion, the people using that acronym incorrectly need to be informed of that so they can stop.

I'd like to suggest that when talking about the concept of
translating protocol versions (IPv6 <-> IPv4) in addition
to, or instead of, altering port number or IP address, we
use the short-hand notation "NAT+PT".

Why invent a new notation when we already have a correct one? It's not like we have two currently competing proposals that are vying for the same name, as with the CD and DVD wars; the naming issue for this scenario was settled nearly eight years ago. If one doesn't like the name that was picked, perhaps because it's confusingly similar to names of other things, the time to correct that is long past.