Re: NAT+PT for IPv6 Transition & Operator Feedback generally

2007-11-15 06:49:32
Just echoing Ran's credit where due -

[4] Credit where due.  Russ Housley and a few other IESG folks
have been attending some operationally oriented meetings on
their own.  For example, Russ was at RIPE 55 in Amsterdam recently.

I haven't been to a NANOG in the past year, but Harald, Bill Fenner, and David Kessens (from IESG) were all consistent attendees 2-3 years ago. Several IAB types were also attending, but Ran's point was specifically about IESG.

It would be nice to see the IESG regularly hold BOFs at APRICOT,
NANOG, RIPE, SANOG, and so forth around the globe to solicit
network operator inputs/feedback.

Dave Meyer did a lot of outreach work specifically on SHIM6 and IPv6 deployment when he was on IAB. I know he/Geoff did a SHIM6 BOF at NANOG, and I'm remembering that he did APRICOT pretty clearly (I assume RIPE happened, just that I wasn't awake when it did).

Speaking as a member of the audience, the SHIM6 BOF at NANOG (http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0510/iab.html) seemed very informative in both directions.

So - yes, more IESG/IAB-sponsored BOFs at NOGs on this and similar topics would probably be productive.

Thanks,

Spencer