Re: NAT+PT for IPv6 Transition & Operator Feedback generally

2007-11-15 15:00:17
"David" == David Kessens <david(_dot_)kessens(_at_)nsn(_dot_)com> writes:

    David> Iljitsch,

    David> On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 10:37:03AM +0100, Iljitsch van
    David> Beijnum wrote:
    >> On 15 nov 2007, at 8:27, David Kessens wrote:
    >>
    >> >PS as my personal opinion on NAT-PT, as long as we define it
    >> as > middlebox as opposed to a protocol that has strong
    >> interoperation > needs, I am not convinced that it actually
    >> even needs to be > standardized by IETF as it is perfectly
    >> possible to implement > NAT-PT without a stable IETF
    >> specification and to make it work > across the Internet.
    >>
    >> We did that with NAT, and I think we lived to regret it.

    David> I am not part of that 'we'. I don't believe we would have
    David> been able to produce a standard that was not already
    David> overtaken by innovation in the marketplace before we got it
    David> out.

I think that if we had overcome the "Nat is evil" crowd sufficiently
we would have been able to do so.  Pointing out things like address
dependent mapping is harmful or examining the interactions between NAT
and locally destined traffic (something behave still does not do)
would have helped the Internet.