Re: [PMOL] Re: A question about [Fwd: WG Review: Performance Metrics atOther Layers (pmol)]

2007-11-15 06:53:54
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:43:01 -0800
Joe Touch <touch(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU> wrote:

Sam Hartman wrote:
Yes, Steve almost certanily did slow down any heavy CPU use during
the time when he was doing the backup.

Our point--Steve, Steve and I--is that for a lot of uses and a lot
of users, no one cares.

Perhaps that's why everyone is using security. We don't have a
problem then.

I didn't say that; I said that performance generally isn't the issue.
Often, there's a *perception* of a performance issue, because once
there was. The bigger problem, in my opinion, is usability.  *Lots* of
people use SSL, because they don't have to do anything.  SSL as used in
https has lots of problems I won't go into here, but it is excellent
protection against passive eavesdroppers.