Re: [PMOL] Re: A question about [Fwd: WG Review: Performance Metrics atOther Layers (pmol)]

2007-11-14 07:52:46

Sam Hartman wrote:
"Romascanu," == Romascanu, Dan (Dan) <dromasca(_at_)avaya(_dot_)com>
writes:

    >> -----Original Message----- From: Sam Hartman
    >> [mailto:hartmans(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu] Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007
10:24
    >> PM To: Leslie Daigle Cc: IESG; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
pmol(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
    >> Subject: [PMOL] Re: A question about [Fwd: WG Review:
    >> Performance Metrics atOther Layers (pmol)]

    >> writes:
    >>
    >> I doubt I'll use the output in security protocols.

    Romascanu,> Isn't it true that best security protocol designs
    Romascanu,> always take performance aspects into account, because
    Romascanu,> users will turn off the security features if they deem
    Romascanu,> their performance reduction too great?

In many cases the performance of security protocols is not a huge issue at
all with modern hardware.
There are a few important exceptions.

A significant one is the lack of hardware to support security protocols.
GigE interfaces have been common on both desktops and laptops for 5
years, but no corresponding security hardware has been similarly deployed.

The software performance of security protocols has been the more
substantial issue, and is likely to continue to be for the forseeable
future.

Joe