Re: [PMOL] Re: A question about [Fwd: WG Review: Performance Metrics atOther Layers (pmol)]

2007-11-02 09:55:06
On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 11:09 -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
In many cases the performance of security protocols is not a huge
issue at all with modern hardware.

Depending on the scope of this effort I see a bunch of things that might
be worth modelling:

 - additional compute resources (cpu, memory, crypto hardware, battery
energy, etc.)
 - additional round trips (that pesky speed of light thing)
 - increases in message sizes/reduced effective MTU
 - availability (if your security protocol depends on a KDC/OCSP
server/CRL distribution point/other service, if it's not available,
you're not available)

The first is not a factor on typical client computers, but the same is
not necessarily true for the mobile phone/pda class of widget or even
for servers -- in the latter case customers say they want high enough
utilization that the overhead of security protocols is going to be
significant for server sizing.

It has not been my experience that it is important to a level where
metrics are requested or used.

it's very common for customers to ask "how big a server/server farm do
we need to support this expected workload?".  The impact of security
protocols on that workload can be significant.

                                        - Bill