Re: [PMOL] Re: A question about [Fwd: WG Review: Performance Metrics atOther Layers (pmol)]

2007-11-14 14:37:51
Hi, Steve,

Stephen Kent wrote:
Joe,

I disagree with your suggestion "The software performance of security
protocols has been the more substantial issue, and is likely to continue
to be for the forseeable future."

I suspect that most desktop users do not need hardware crypto for
performance.  Irarely if ever drive my GiGE interface at its line rate.

It's not hard to drive it high enough to see a substantial impact
(300+Mbps); when I turn on S/W crypto, that drops to less than 1/3 at
best. See the paper below.

With fast processors, especially multi-core processors, we have enough
cycles to do symmetric crypto at data rates consistent with most
application demands for individual users.  Public key operations for key
management are usually low duty cycle, so they too can be accommodated.

Public key is less the issue. See the following for recent measurements
using multicore processors - FWIW, this will peg the processing of a
modern CPU just to reach over 100Mbps:

J. Touch, Y. Yang, "Reducing the Impact of DoS Attacks on Endpoint IP
Security,"Proc. NPSec 2006, in conjunction with ICNP 2006, Nov. 2006.
http://www.isi.edu/touch/pubs/npsec2006

Joe