Re: [PMOL] Re: A question about [Fwd: WG Review: Performance Metrics atOther Layers (pmol)]

2007-11-15 07:30:08
I am mostly in agreement with Steve but I find the premise somewhat odd.

Crypto overhead is an issue for some applications but not so much at the bulk
end as the large number of small transactions end. Think web server doing a
thousand hits a second. Even that is manageable with crypto accelerators and
restart and such.

At the bulk end I would not see ssl as the ideal protocol for securing
distribution of online movies. Why would this be suprising? Why would we expect
one protocol to be optimal for every application?

For a start I would probaby want to have a message layer encryption scheme so
that I only need to encrypt my file once, I would probably want the crypto to
support fast index lookup for chapter search and I would probably want DRM
features.

The reason we use ssl for everything is because it is deployed and it is easier
to adapt a deployed protocol than build from scratch.

I don't see the backup scenario as relevant either. Batch mode backup is a
legacy of the tape drive era. With tape drives and tapes costing an order of
magnitude more per gig than disk that era is over. If the backup medium is disk
volume shaddowing makes much more sense.

Given  that consumer targetted backup systems offering volume shaddowing are
available for just over $500 for a 500Gb system the batch mode backup scenario
is obsolete.

Now if only the providers of that technology had thought about how I am to
protect my data against the house burning down...

Sent from my GoodLink Wireless Handheld (www.good.com)