Re: Lets be careful with those XML submissions to the RFC Editor

2007-11-27 08:42:44
Greetings All,

The RFC Editor does retrieve ALL approved IDs and compare our edited text with the originally approved ID, as posted in the internet- drafts repository.

Often times, authors send us the XML file, and let us know that they have updated the file to reflect the requested RFC Editor notes, that they have updated the authors addresses section, or that they did a bit of editorial clean-up because of some last call comments or because they received comments from x, y, & z. The RFC Editor does not usually have a problem accepting these types of changes.

The authors submit their updated files, and we use this file as a starting point for our editorial process. We then create a diff file between the newly edited version (which includes author edits and RFC Editor edits) of the text file and the originally submitted ID. During AUTH48, we provide the .xml, .txt, and -diff.html files to the authors, ADs, and WG chairs. Each time an author requests changes during AUTH48, all of the files get updated and notifications are sent to the authors, ADs, and WG chairs. When we notice unusual changes in these files, we request that the ADs approve the changes before we publish the document. (Therefore, our bugging Jari for approval.)

Ensuring that the resulting text of the submitted XML source match identically the approved ID does not seem correct. I thought that part of the reason for the RFC Editor to move toward the use of XML2RFC was because (among others, but those relevant here)

1) it would be easier and more efficient for authors, and
2) the authors would like to have the ability to alter the text during AUTH48 themselves, instead of sending changes in the RFC Editor requested format.

As such, we provide our edited version of the .xml file to the authors during AUTH48, and ask them to edit the file themselves. However, it is at this stage that we often see changes that require AD approval, as opposed to upon XML submission.

The case in particular that started this tread resulted from changes that occurred during AUTH48.

Sandy