Re: Lets be careful with those XML submissions to the RFC Editor

2007-11-28 15:19:05
Ned Freed wrote:
That's true. But at some point of time, XML source *was* fed into
xml2rfc, right?

Sure, but what about things like locally defined entity references? xml2rfc
handles these but they create an external reference that has to be there
alongside the main source.

That's why I have been arguing all the time that documents like these (non-standalone) should not be allowed to be submitted.

I would argue that *that* XML source should be
submitted; submitting something that needs additional non-standard
preprocessing seems a bit pointless to me.

*That* XML source is still not necessarily self-contained. Indeed, one
model I've seen people use is to preprocess included materials but not
the main XML source.

> Only when the document is finished does it make sense to generate a
> self-contained XML source for it.

I don't agree with that.

Then you need to provide a viable alternative, because what you're suggesting
isn't compatible with how some people use the tools.

Whatever people feed into xml2rfc can be made stand-alone by running it once through an XML parser and reserializing; or be applying an identity XSLT transformation.

But anyway, if you think it doesn't make sense to generate
self-contained XML for each I-D, why submit the non-self-contained XML
source at all?

Obviously you don't submit XML source up until that point.

I thought people did and that was a problem. Did I misunderstand something?

BR, Julian