Re: Should the RFC Editor publish an RFC in less than 2 months?

2007-11-29 02:24:12
John, I agree with just about everything you say here, except
for this:

At Thu, 29 Nov 2007 01:56:51 -0500,
John C Klensin wrote:
And, incidentally, I believe that discussions about inherent
conflicts of interest in the current appeals process are
irrelevant to this discussion, for two reasons.   First, as
others have repeatedly pointed out, our appeals mechanisms are
an important tool for reaching and establishing consensus, not a
judicial procedure.

Yes, it's not a judicial procedure, but nevertheless, an appeal of an
IESG action inherently involves the claim that the IESG has made a
mistake, and the IESG is not exactly in a position to judge that
neutrally. Yes, the IESG does sometimes reverse itself, but there have
also been times where the IESG has denied an appeal, the appellant has
appealled to the IAB, and the IAB has upheld it. Having been involved
in such cases, I don't think I would characterize them as
"establishing consensus".

And second, if there are conflicts of
interest that we believe are unacceptable, and that belief is
based on experience rather than theory or hypothetical
situations, then we need to fix 2026 and the appeals process for
reasons and in ways that have little to do with the publication
delay question.

I didn't say that there were COIs that were unacceptable. I said
they needed to be mitigated by ensuring that the appellant had
an opportunity to have a hearing before a neutral (or as neutral
as possible) party. I think the current 2026 procedures more
or less do that, but in this particular case there is a bug
in the process. It's not one I'd ordinarily spend a lot of time
agitating to fix, but since Russ raised the topic of delaying
publication, it's worth getting this aspect of it straight.

-Ekr