Re: Should the RFC Editor publish an RFC in less than 2 months?

2007-12-01 13:23:27
John C Klensin wrote:

figuring out what we are doing and documenting it would
certainly be a good idea, my suggestion was carefully
written to be feasible without any action as formal as
opening 2026.

Yes, and you also said that you're not going to do it.
If Brian wants to tackle it he'd likely integrate your
idea in his "appeal" I-D, Harald might prefer an ION to
have it on public record, IMO there are various ways to
"implement" your proposal.

All it would take to implement that part of my suggestion
would be an announcement that, while the appeal window
remains at two months, any appeals that intend to ask for
a publication hold must be announced in some substantive
way within some much shorter time.

Okay, but it's not a clean hack.  In both cases where I felt
a sudden urge to appeal (sitefinder-verisign and termination
of MARID) I ended up with speed reading RFCs based on grep
and Google searches, I'd certainly have missed anything more
subtle, e.g. an ION or old IESG announcement buried in a list
archive.  I needed three months to find "3710 to historic" as
a potential "remedy", it wasn't on my CD ROM with RFCs, and
of course three months was anyway far too late.

BTW, that's a flaw in Brian's proposal to deprecate the STD 1
rule, not everybody reads the RFCs online with access on a
list of current STDs (etc.) published as rfc-editor.org page.

Whether or not publication delays are then granted might,
as I suggested, depend on joint IESG/IAB decisions about
the level of possible damage and merit of the appeal.

Yes, a cleaner (and faster) procedure would be to start the
appeal chain *above* the level of the appealed decision, in
the case of an RFC approved by the IESG go directly to the
IAB (and maybe vice versa for the rare IAB RFCs).

the cases are few in which significant damage would be done
by publishing and then changing status and/or posting a