Re: Should the RFC Editor publish an RFC in less than 2 months?

2007-12-02 07:03:39

--On 1. desember 2007 22:15 -0800 Bob Hinden
<bob(_dot_)hinden(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com> wrote:

Before we head further down this track, do we have any data as to how big
a problem we are thinking of fixing?

Since the IETF has been producing RFCs, how many have been appealed in
the 2 months after IESG approval?  I would like to see the actual
numbers.  Does this happen 10%, 1%, .1%, .01%, .001%, etc. of the time?

If we assume the list on <http://www.ietf.org/IESG/Appeals.html> is complete, there has been 22 appeals to the IESG since November 2002.

From visual inspection of the list, I think at least half are unrelated to
document publication (PR-actions, mailing list suspensions, WG closings).
I don't know how many of the rest would have "stop this document" as part of their proposed remedies, but to be conservative, let's assume 10 (it's almost certainly less, but that will save me having to read all these appeal texts to figure them out).

In November 2002, RFC 3323 was published; we're now at RFC 5092 - more than 1700 RFCs later.

Based on the past record, we're talking about something that happens 0.58% of the time, or less.

Of course, predicting the future from the past is iffy; there have been 10 appeals in 2006 and only one (not document related) in 2007, so "it varies".

                     Harald