Re: Should the RFC Editor publish an RFC in less than 2 months?

2007-12-02 09:15:46

--On Sunday, 02 December, 2007 14:56 +0100 Harald Tveit
Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no> wrote:

Based on the past record, we're talking about something that
happens 0.58% of the time, or less.

Of course, predicting the future from the past is iffy; there
have been 10 appeals in 2006 and only one (not document
related) in 2007, so "it varies".

But, at least for me, trying to make very specific rules for
something that occurs less than 5 or 10% of the time and, even
then, involves case by case idiosyncrasies, is just a bad idea.
And, if you are seeing circa 6 tenths of a percent, I believe
that the order of magnitude difference  between that and my
quite subjective criterion is more than enough to account for
variability.

If nothing else, if we have that little percentage experience,
there is little with which to evaluate the effect of any
possible rules.

Of course, YMMD and, in particular, you might consider this
potential problem to be important enough to have other criteria.

     john