Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

2007-12-16 17:02:25
On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 08:48:38AM -0800, Paul Hoffman wrote:
At 7:56 AM -0800 12/16/07, Dave Crocker wrote:
Yaakov Stein wrote:
Why don't we dedicate a separate 2 hour plenary just to this
experiment with the moderator announcing workarounds and collected
statistics ?

That's not a plenary.

That's an interoperability event.

Not at all: it is an operations experiment. The (probably valid)
assumption is that if people can get their systems set up correctly,
there will be good interoperability once bits are flowing end to end.
The test is getting their systems set up.

The IETF doesn't do those...

...but should. In the VPN Consortium's logo testing, we see much more
difficulty with the operations side of IPsec than in the IPsec
protocol itself. I would not be surprised to hear similar results for
other protocol suites, such as IPv6.

        if you think it should, then we should get Dan Lynch back
        and redo the fourth meeting of the year again... just can
        not call it Interop this go round.

--bill

Having the IETF see first-hand the operational aspects of its
protocols would probably have a positive effects on the protocols it
produces.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

--bill