Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

2007-12-16 14:44:48
At 12:15 PM -0800 12/16/07, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
On the other hand: If we simply closed our laptops for the duration of
the plenary and LISTENED to the speakers, perhaps even taking notes on
paper (I know, a radical idea), would this really be such a terrible
thing?

The original message said:

During the IESG/IAOC Plenary at IETF 71, we are going to turn off IPv4
support on the IETF network for 30 to 60 minutes.  We will encourage the
audience to use the Internet and determine which services that they have
come to take for granted remain available.

I do not interpret this as "there will be a plenary going on while we experiment with the operational issues". Instead, it sounded like the discussion of operational issues would in fact be the plenary.

So, no, closing our laptops would not be useful for this exercise. :-)

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium