Re: IETF interoperability testing

2007-12-17 13:13:00
Hi -

From: "Dave Crocker" <dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net>
To: "Fred Baker" <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
Cc: "IETF-Discussion" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2007 9:51 AM
Subject: IETF interoperability testing
Fred Baker wrote:
what leads you to believe that the IETF doesn't do interoperability
events? It has done quite a few, notably in DHCPv6 immediately following
the recent IETF and going back in various working groups as far as I can
remember.

working groups have conducted interop events?  no, I hadn't heard of that.

I recall ones for SNMPv2 (various flavors), AgentX, and SNMPv3.  One might
quibble about whether they were organized by the working group, or whether
it was just a mighty coincidence that people from companies with employees
who attended these working groups hashed out mutual NDAs and held bake-offs
to verify that their implementations could interoperate, as well as experiments
over the open Internet.

but I hope my misunderstanding doesn't distract us from seeking to make this
one succeed or, at least, making it a meaningful "experiment" rather than one
pretty much guaranteed to fail...

Sometimes the result of an experiment is a demonstration that something
doesn't always work, which can help prove that a theory is incorrect.

d/

ps.  it has even occurred to me that the hidden agenda here is to demonstrate
to the IETF just how poor Internet-wide support of v6 is...

Hidden?

Randy