Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

2007-12-16 14:23:13

Closer to home, let's start specifying standardized user interface details for Internet applications.

Dave,

I think that we should tap expertise and enthusiasm where we find it concentrated.
Can you say, "Make IETF fun again"? ;-)

Going beyond it might be fine, but only with due deliberation. The likelihood of unintended consequences is essentially 100% and the track record for unintended consequences is that they are mostly undesired.

Weeeelll, that sounds nice, but I think it is too gloomy. I can well imagine the UC's being quite desirable.

I think that approaching it as anything other than needing quite a lot of planning and guidance -- as opposed to the sink-or-swim model with which it was put forward -- is particularly risky.

+++1

Don't underestimate community momentum.

Bob