Re: eating our own dogfood...Re: IPv4 Outage

2007-12-19 05:29:36
Wow, that is a rather.... lackadisical attitude being shown by the
ICANN, isn't it?  I can't help thinking that if Jon Postel were still
around, things would be moving a tad bit faster --- i.e., measured in
minutes rather than at least months.  Hmm, perhaps years; on an IANA
page I see a paper authored Ronald van der Pol and some other RIPE
folks indicating that they had shown it was safe to add AAAA records
to the root zone, published October 2003.

One would hope that they will act by the December 18th ICANN board
meeting, and that any other bureaucratic hurdles would be addressed
sooner rather than later.  But if not, as ugly as it would have to be
for the IETF to have to substitute root zone records just for the
purpose of adding AAAA records for IPv6 DNS root zone servers for the
March 2008 meeting, and as unfortunate as a precedent as that might
set, it will have meant that ICANN will have dithered for NINE MONTHS
over what seems to be a simple issue of adding IPv6 records, which
means something is seriously wrong over at ICANN, and we should just
fix the problem the way engineers know how to fix the problem, and let
the political problem fix itself... whenever.  After all, if waiting
at least 9 months hasn't helped, is there any evidence that waiting
another 9 months would help any more?

At the end of the day, either we're serious about IPv6 or we're not.

                                            - Ted

P.S.  Funny, looking at the ICANN board, I have to say that I'm
surprised.  The board contains names like Harald Alvaestrand, Steve
Crocker, Thomas Narten, in addition to the usual Lawyers and VC's.

P.P.S.  Obviously, this is me speaking as an individual, not with any
IETF hat on, or on behalf of my employer....