Re: eating our own dogfood...Re: IPv4 Outage

2007-12-19 02:30:13
On 19 dec 2007, at 6:27, Bill Manning wrote:

        I point to the the RSSAC(*) meeting minutes from Chicago
        and Vancouver for the ICANN statements as to why the AAAA
        records for the root servers have not been added to date.

http://www.rssac.org/meetings/04-08/RSSAC28.pdf :

4 - AAAA support - David
The report was received and the technical issues are not an issue - this is a policy issue and no one from the
2
policy group is here. The question is raised, what else does the IANA need and when can it ask? The IANA GM does
3
not have the right questions to ask internally. Who are we/IANA waiting on? We are waiting on the executive staff at
4
ICANN.  Not clear if there are other hurdles to jump after that is done.
5

http://www.rssac.org/meetings/04-08/rssac29.pdf :

IPv6 status: (Bill Manning)

2
Not much has changed since our last meeting. At least four of the root server operators have demonstrated IPv6
3
capability and have formally requested that ICANN add them to the root. This is based on the RSSAC/SSAC joint
4
recommendation that said that this is OK to do. At the last meeting, the IANA general manager said that it's in
5
ICANN's executive/policy committee. We'd really like some feedback from either IANA or ICANN about when the
6
requests will be processed. A formal request will be sent from RSSAC to ICANN asking for the requests to be
7
processed. This will not be a public announcement.
8