Let's look at it from an IETF oldie's perspective... Re: IPv4 Outage Planned for IETF 71 Plenary

2007-12-19 11:12:58

Here is my understanding:

1.  The shortage of IPv4 addresses will increasingly cripple the
        communication effectiveness of the Internet, either directly
        or indirectly through ubiqitous NATting.

2.  As a replacement for IPv4, IPv6 is the only game in town.  We did it.

3.  Unless we want the ITU to eat our dogfood, the IETF needs to get
        serious about discovering and solving the remaining technical
        problems implicit in IPv6 deployment.

4.  In recent years, a large fraction of IETF activity has moved from
        our original and core concern, the network and transport
        layers, to (more profitable?) issues at the application layer
        and layer 2.5.  It is time to take the network layer seriously
        again.

5.  The recent messages containing reasoned calls for advance planning
        and coordination of an IPv6 connectathon are all important and
        need to be heeded.

6.  There is a social engineering as well as a technical engineering
        problem here.

7.  This discussion has already been useful.

Bob Braden