Hallam-Baker's First Law of Internet Lawyering Was: The Sgt at Arms Please? RE: TLS-authz "experimental" standard

2008-01-15 11:53:22
Well I found it somewhat interesting that despite the fact that I was the only
person to co-author a submission to the IPR working group with an actual lawyer
I still received comments of the 'amateur lawyering kind' from folk who were
not lawyers and whose legalistic opinions had been flat contradicted by those
who are.

So without more ado:

First Law of Internet Lawyering: Anyone who accuses another of being
insufficiently qualified to state a legal opinion will in the same thread state
a legal opinion that they are not qualified to make.

Second Law of Internet Lawyering: Both opinions will be wrong

Third Law of Internet Lawyering: It won't matter.

________________________________

From: TS Glassey [mailto:tglassey(_at_)earthlink(_dot_)net]
Sent: Tue 15/01/2008 1:05 PM
To: dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net; Theodore Tso
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: The Sgt at Arms Please? RE: TLS-authz "experimental" standard

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Crocker" <dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
To: "Theodore Tso" <tytso(_at_)MIT(_dot_)EDU>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 4:23 PM

Theodore Tso wrote:
Actually, to be fair, I don't think this can be laid at the feet of
the FSF.  Todd Glassey replied to a message approximately 3 months old
with some legal reasoning that at best seems highly contorted, and at
worst total nonsense.

I love technololgists who claim their view of Law is the right on. Are you
suggesting we should resolve this in a court of law Dave?

All of which raises the deeper question of why serious people are
consuming the ietf mailing list posting responses to it.

Or perhaps a better quesiton is what the actual loading it created since you
labeled it as "consuming" the list's available bandwidth.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking