RE: Finding information

2008-01-20 02:26:12
Besides the suggestion already given, if you go to
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html start with a search on IMAP.
RFC1730 will be one of the first (in chronological order) of the 47
entries, you will find out in the More Info columns that it was
obsoleted by RFC2060 and RFC2061. RFC2060 will then be listed as
obsoleted by RFC3501, which was updated by a number of RFCs (probably
the extensions you look for) and also has an Errata you may want to look
at.

I hope this helps,

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Willie Gillespie [mailto:wgillespie+ietf(_at_)es2eng(_dot_)com]
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 1:56 AM
To: IETF Discussion
Subject: Finding information

As someone new to the IETF, how should I go about doing the following?

I want to find some information about IMAP and its
extensions.  Let's say I found RFC 1730.  How would I know
that it had been obsoleted by RFC 2060 and then by RFC 3501?
How do I find the extensions?  I don't necessarily want to
search through a list of 5000 entries to find what I want.

That's where I think a naming scheme like IETF-IMAP would be handy.
Then I could look at a list of IETF-IMAP and see
IETF-IMAP-2003 would be newer than IETF-IMAP-1996.

But that's beside the point.  As of right now, how do I find
this information?  Is there a handy tool on tools.ietf.org
that I should use?

Thanks for your help.

Willie